The Salvation Army began its work in Detroit in 1887. Records from the Army’s historical archives show the Adult Rehabilitation Center began here with just 4 wagons in 1895. Spurred on by tremendous need and generosity of the community, the A.R.C. grew rapidly in its first few decades of operation. By the 1950’s the center was a huge enterprise, serving hundreds of men each year from a location at 1220 West Lafayette Boulevard.
The A.R.C. moved to its present location in 1972 after acquiring and renovating the former Coe Terminal Warehouse at 1627 W. Fort Street.In 2003, the Detroit A.R.C. and Pontiac A.R.C. merged to create the Southeast Michigan A.R.C. with a goal of even greater service to the community. In 2004, The Salvation Army made the commitment to keep the A.R.C. in Detroit by undertaking a $24 million building transformation aimed at providing new facilities, better programs, and a better overall atmosphere to aid the healing process.Completed in January 2007, the 355,000 square foot facility accommodates 300 beneficiaries and incorporates state-of-the-art technology for food service, donation process, store operations, work training and more.
In 2009, the ARC has started steps to provide a 50 bed Woman's Program. The Romulus Men's ARC was transformed and opened on August 1st, 2011. For more details please visit the story here.
The Salvation Army began in 1865 when William Booth, a London minister, gave up the comfort of his pulpit and decided to take his message into the streets where it would reach the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute.
His original aim was to send converts to established churches of the day, but soon he realized that the poor did not feel comfortable or welcome in the pews of most of the churches and chapels of Victorian England. Regular churchgoers were appalled when these shabbily dressed, unwashed people came to join them in worship.
Booth decided to found a church especially for them — the East London Christian Mission. The mission grew slowly, but Booth's faith in God remained undiminished.
In May of 1878, Booth summoned his son, Bramwell, and his good friend George Railton to read a proof of the Christian Mission's annual report. At the top it read: THE CHRISTIAN MISSION is A VOLUNTEER ARMY. Bramwell strongly objected to this wording. He was not a volunteer: he was compelled to do God's work. So, in a flash of inspiration, Booth crossed out "Volunteer" and wrote "Salvation". The Salvation Army was born.
By the 1900s, the Army had spread around the world. The Salvation Army soon had officers and soldiers in 36 countries, including the United States of America. This well-organized yet flexible structure inspired a great many much-needed services: women's social work, the first food depot, the first day nursery and the first Salvation Army missionary hospital. During World War II, The Salvation Army operated 3,000 service units for the armed forces, which led to the formation of the USO.
Today, The Salvation Army is stronger and more powerful than ever. Now, in over 106 nations around the world, The Salvation Army continues to work where the need is greatest, guided by faith in God and love for all people.